aka “Elitism is my middle name”
I like how Moffat would say that Reinette - a female character that he wrote into the show - is obviously a perfect match for the Doctor based on her level of ‘civilization’ and education.
As opposed to oh say…Rose Tyler - a lower-class girl who never went to university - whom the Doctor actually fell in love with and did settle down with in another universe.
This quote just has it all, doesn’t it?
- The elitism
- The dig at Rose Tyler and RTD, by extension
- The elevation of ‘his’ character at the expense of existing ones.
- The implication that Madame de Pompadour - one of the most powerful women in the country - would of course drop everything she had worked for to go and ‘settle down’ with a man who is basically a homeless spacehobo.
People who call Moffat a talentless hack are mistaken. It takes some skill to cram that much fail into just three sentences.
Hah, excellent Moffat-criticism here. He is so petty, and so unequipped to write insightful sci-fi.
Like, okay, let’s pretend for a second that by “educated and civilised” he means “has a lot of knowledge and social insight” (which is a valid thing to look for in a romantic partner) rather than, you know, “rich, fancy and subservient” (which is what Moffat expects people to look for in a romantic partner).
… I really don’t think that an 18th century aristocrat has more understanding of science and society than a 21st person without A levels but with a working television. And in any case, if the Doctor was really looking for people who are Intellectual Equals, he’d surely look in the future, when people understand time travel, and have wikipedia installed in their brains, or whatever. Or AIs! I can’t imagine anyone more educated and ‘civilised’ than AI people!
Just, one thing I really loved about RTD’s Who arcs - which Moffat clearly didn’t understand at all - was that EVERYTHING the companions knew was useful - Harry Potter trivia! Game-show quickness! Fast typing! - and that the, like, real-world hierarchy of skills and marketability was always shown as less important than courage and compassion.
WITHOUT A LEVELS BUT WITH A WORKING TELEVISION
I’m imagining the real Madame de Pompadour and how very unimpressed she would be by Steven Moffat declaring his ~admiration for her, but
did this man just admit that he think the position of Companion is actually the Doctor’s maîtresse-en-titre? Jesus wept.
That is exactly what this man thinks, and what he writes also. He thinks women are wired to ‘cling’ and men are wired to want to escape them, and the only way a relationship can be agreeable to both parties is if the woman accepts that they can only spend time together when the dude initiates it.
… Suddenly I am kinda surprised that Sherlock and Irene didn’t set up a long-distance relationship where she spends her days in an orientalist parody of a villa, waiting for Sherlock and passing the time taking luxurious bubble-baths and emotionlessly spanking female nobility.
Oh my god this is some sick shit— and really, really, really highlights how much Moffat doesn’t understand the fundamental heart of the show he’s fucking running. If the Doctor was so hot for intelligent, well educated, civilized women why the fuck did he ever leave his home planet? Why has he only ever had one Gallifreyan companion after he left his granddaughter to go her own way? Romana was foisted on him by the time lord ellimist, he didn’t go picking her out of a catalogue.
The Doctor runs around with soldiers and schoolkids and teachers and sailors and students and journalists and shop girls and alien refugees and orphans and robot dogs and barbarians and private detective penguins and renegade archaeologists. If he wanted a slice of properly civilized girlfriend he had the whole universe to go pick one out from, and he never did till Moffat wrote him launching himself smooch-first at the lady in the fancy dress and historically inaccurate boobies.
Goddamn I am so mad.
The Doctor was much more interested in redeamable human qualities until Moffat wrote him. THen he became a cranky kid who threw a tantrum every time his position was questioned because he “knew” so much better than everyone else.
- Jesus: It's important to help those less fortunate than you. Treat them as your brother.
- Christian Conservatives: *hurriedly turn the page*
How Quickly We Are Misrepresented
- T-Shack: Hey it's 2013 in Seattle and we're having an awesome show!
- Trans Organization: Since you're visiting our town you should know the local context that we've had a ton of recent community discussion about the use of the t-word and your show might stir up a lot of controversy you don't actually want to be dealing with.
- T-Shack: Hey thanks, that's good to know. We'll do a different show with a different name and it'll be fine.
- Performer: I'm super excited to be in the show, but I'm embarrassed to say the name out loud.
- T-Shack: That's a really bad outcome, both financially and politically. We'll have to work on a solution.
- T-Shack: We're back now that it's 2014 and we've renamed our show for while we're here, but still have the old name on the poster
- Trans Organization: That's awesome, we really appreciate that. But you might want to reconsider the old name on posters. Because if they are going to be put up all around town it could still raise some problems. Also, did you realize you scheduled the show to be at the same time as Trans Pride?
- T-Shack: Oops, give us a moment to confer.
- Cis Gay Bystander: Oh my god you guys are terrible, stop being word police! Stop censoring everyone! I love the word 'tranny'. Tranny, tranny, tranny! Trannyshack folks, please don't give in to this pressure.
- Trans Woman Bystander: Are you trying to upset folks on purpose, this was a productive conversation.
- Cis Gay Bystander: I don't understand you trans women. You think that being a keyboard warrior will win you everything but you're just alienating your allies.
- Trans Woman Bystander: Fuck you if you think you're my ally. With allies like you, who needs enemies!
- Cis Gay Bystander #2: *Pulls out popcorn* I love to watch trans women freak out and get super emotional.
- T-Shack: Hey guys, that's not helpful. Also, we've decided to permanently change our name and keep the t-word off our posters and we'd like to make this show a benefit for Trans Pride!
- Trans Organization: That's awesome! You guys really are the best! We're going to promote your show and please stop by Trans Pride we want to give you an award for allyship!
- Cis Gay News: Why do trans women hate drag queens? Yet again local trans women are creating drama. These radical activists are strong-arming our beloved Trannyshack into changing their name. They just whine and make a fuss until they get their way. They are giving our community a bad name. This is exactly they kind of infighting that we need to put an end to.
- T-Shack: Hey that's not exactly what happened, here's my open statement about why we thought changing the name was a good idea and were appreciative of the help and feedback I got in that process.
- Jack Halberstam: This story about over-emotional trans women throwing tantrums and claiming to be triggered by a single word is a great example for my work on the Neo-Liberal Rhetoric of Harm. They really should lighten up. We need to put an end to finger snapping moralism like that.
- ...: ...
- ...: ...
- Note: The above is obviously all paraphrased since the actual account was 30-50 pages long. Actual wording or phrases were used when possible. Mainly I wanted to share this because it's super tiring to have everything you say framed within the box of "trans women are over-emotional, over-reactive, shrieking, and behavior policing" no matter how much what we're doing differs from that.
i wanna go for walks in the middle of the night but i also dont want to die ya feel
just girly things
~Just trans things~
~Just human things~
Nah, I’m pretty sure a disproportionate amount of victims are trans women.
lets also talk about how TWoC in trans women separatist spaces get scapegoated just as trans women do in the patriarchy for violence and abuse; lets talk about how TWoC standing up and speaking is dangerous and violent and out-of-control to the white trans women’s community
"Male fantasies, male fantasies, is everything run by male fantasies? Up on a pedestal or down on your knees, it’s all a male fantasy: that you’re strong enough to take what they dish out, or else too weak to do anything about it. Even pretending you aren’t catering to male fantasies is a male fantasy: pretending you’re unseen, pretending you have a life of your own, that you can wash your feet and comb your hair unconscious of the ever-present watcher peering through the keyhole, peering through the keyhole in your own head, if nowhere else. You are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. You are your own voyeur."
Margaret Atwood, The Robber Bride (via corpsicles)
let’s talk about how white trans women can appropriate the politics of Trans Women of Color and get along fine, but if they simply ASSOCIATE with those same TWoC, they lose points; lets talk about how TWoC with the same thoughts as a white woman is more dangerous and intimidating than the white woman; let’s talk about how white women, knowing this, consistently throw us under the bus, ignore us when its inconvenient to be our friends, and tote our ideas and theories as their own when it gives them validation or social credits
The adventures of me wearing my graphic tees/dresses that have to do with video games or shows while working at Hot Topic. True story today.
Guys, stop doing this. It makes you 20000000 times less likely to pick up a girl. Stop “checking” us and let us love our things.
let someone do that to me
It’s said that 90% of people will see the same word first. Don’t cheat! Type the first 3 words you see in the comments and then look and see what everyone else saw!
Time, money, friends
Health, you, Beauty.
Unless Cess counts.
Cess, Health, You. XD
Experience, time, freedom.
Unless you want to count “love” because there’s no way I could actually have avoided that, what with it being right under the damn question.
I managed not to see love, as it happens.
Beauty, freedom, ports.
love, intelligence, freedom, it works based on how you scan the text, whether you start from the top and go left to right or start on the right and read vertically down etc.